Saturday, August 23, 2014

Zeiss Touit 50mm macro -- 1:1 with the Fuji X-T1

For yesterday's blog post I did some close up still life photos of herbs. This morning I decided to use the Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 as close as it would go, which is 1:1. All of these images were taken with the aperture stopped down in the f/11-f/22 range. I used soft window lighting with the camera on a tripod.

Mostly, I used manual focus because I knew I wanted to be as close as the lens would go so I racked it to its closest focus point and moved the camera towards the subject until it was in focus. For the few shots where I did turn on the auto-focus the lens was very responsive and accurate -- a real pleasure to use compared to other macro lenses I use.









1 comment :

  1. Hi Tom
    Thanks for sharing. During the purchase phase of the X-T1 I looked at the Macro options (handheld in the store). The Zeiss seemed to be a really nice addition for macro work. I definitely preferred it to Fuji's macro, which isn't even a 1:1. Seems odd. I guess I thought all macros were 1:1? The Zeiss I believe also has a shorter minimum focus distance.

    I'm still getting a handle on the Fuji RAW files. I use LR5. Do you have any insights on this?

    Cheers.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete