Monday, May 19, 2014

Weather resistant test for the Fuji X-T1

I didn't set out to test the weather resistant qualities of the new Fuji X-T1. Mother Nature decided to conduct the test for me. I was photographing along the Maine coast, primarily near Acadia National Park, but also down towards Camden. The weather was mostly overcast, misty, and sometimes raining -- just the way I like it, especially when doing time lapse water shots. I had photographed this area of Maine many time before, but usually went for the sunny weather and sunrises. This time around I was aiming for some moodier images in inclement weather typical of the region and suitable for making platinum prints.

I pack a different kit when shooting landscapes than I do for travel photography. For landscapes I tend to rely on very wide angle lenses so I packed the new Fuji 10-24mm zoom instead of the lighter 14mm. This is probably the biggest difference between my travel and landscape kits. I also carried one fast aperture lens -- in this case the 32mm f/1.4 -- and some Nikon close-up lenses for it. The zooms for the Fuji X series are really excellent, particularly the 10-24mm f/4 which I reviewed here.

This is the landscape travel kit I had with me when I was swamped with a wave while photographing the scene below. The small umbrella I had been using wasn't much protection against the sea water.
For one of the scenes I photographed, I positioned myself a bit too close to the incoming tidal surge that was breaking over the rocks, and one set of waves treated me, the camera, and tripod to an impromptu shower. The camera was already a little wet from the rain coming down, but the seawater finished us off with a good soaking.   Although the camera received a nice dousing I kept on shooting with it for a  while longer before calling it quits, and I can now attest to the fact that the X-T1 really is weather resistant.

I was also using the little Sirui T-025X tripod I have discussed in other blog posts as a really nice, compact (folds down to 11.6") match for the Fuji X-cameras. It too came through this situation with flying colors.

This is the scene taken around the time the ocean decided to treat me and the X-T1 to a shower.
The images below were taken over the course of three days, mostly cloudy and rainy, along the Maine coast near Camden and Acadia. The time lapse water shots were done using a 9-stop neutral density filter on the lens and shooting around f/16 with a shutter speed varying from 30 to 90 seconds depending upon how fast the water was moving.

Tide coming in, Camden, Maine, 2014 - 30 second exposure, Fuji 10-24mm Zoom.

Sun reflection, Seawall, Acadia, Maine, 2014 - Fuji 10-24mm lens, 60 second exposure.

Morning low tide, Southwest Harbor, Maine, 2014 - Fuji 18-55mm lens.

Lone boulder with advancing tide, Seawall, Acadia, Maine, 2014 - Fuji 55-200mm lens, 45 second exposure.

Coastal rocks at low tide, Acadia, Maine, 2014 - Fuji long zoom, 45 second exposure. 

Seagull and low tide, Southwest Harbor, Maine, 2014 - Fuji long zoom. 

Balanced rock, Seawall, Acadia, Maine, 2014 - Fuji 10-24mm lens, 40 second exposure.

Triangle pool, Seawall, Acadia, Maine, 2014 - Fuji 10-24mm lens, 60 second exposure.

Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, Maine, 2014 - Fuji 10-24mm zoom, 90 second exposure.

Lobster boat, early morning, Maine, 2014 - Fuji long zoom.
Cloudy day on Penobscot Bay, Camden, Maine, 2014 - Panorama assembled from three images taken with Fuji 18-55mm lens. 
Order the Fuji X-T1 camera at:  BH-Photo  Amazon 
Order the Fuji 10-24mm f/4 lens: BH-Photo   Amazon
Order the Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10 Ball Head:  BH-Photo   Amazon
Order the Sirui T-005X Aluminum Tripod with C-10 Ball Head (Black): BH-Photo   Amazon

2 comments :

  1. Yikes but beautiful shots. How did the lenses make out considering that they are not water resistant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just dried it off and it was fine.

    ReplyDelete