Saturday, July 6, 2013

Central Park Project - photographing the Ramble

Cloudy weather in New York has been perfect for another trip to Central Park to continue my "Solitude" book project. This time I concentrated on the Ramble area of the park where I photographed large rock formations juxtaposed with the shapes of trees and vegetation.

Large slabs of Manhattan schist or granite permeate the park and were incorporated into the original landscape design.


The moodiness of this scene reminded me a lot of the Hudson River School painters who were popular around the time the planners were designing Central Park.
 



The picturesque Stone Arch in the Ramble was fashioned from boulders found in the park. The arch itself is only 5' wide.
All photos were taken with a Nikon D800 on a tripod for maximum quality, using both the 18-35mm and 24-70mm Nikkor zooms.  Apertures ranged from f/8 to f/16.

I forgot to bring along a cable release so I relied on the built-in shutter delay of the D800 for my slow shutter speeds. I find this delay feature so convenient, I may just give up on using a cable release in situations such as this.  You can find the "Exposure Delay Mode" in the "Custom Setting Menu" under "Shooting/display" on most Nikon DSLR cameras. It can be set to a  1, 2, or 3 second delay.

No comments :

Post a Comment