Friday, June 14, 2013

Back to Central Park

We had some very overcast weather in New York this past week so I was able to go back into Central Park to work on my "Solitude" project.  An overcast day gives me the blown out sky that I like. In addition, it provides much lower contrast and more colorful detail in the vegetation.

Each time I go to the park I cover only one specific area.  I made two trips this week, both in the very northern end where the landscaping is natural and remote.

The first place I covered was The Ravine, a naturally wooded area with streams and waterfalls.




On my second visit I went to The Pool, a small, irregularly shaped pond, quiet and remote enough to attract considerable wildlife.



 




In addition to a limited edition book, I am planning on making some large prints of this series so I photographed it exclusively with a Nikon D800 on a tripod and with a low ISO.  For most of the scenic images the lens was stopped down to either f/22 or f/16.

1 comment :

  1. Tom,
    Is there any chance of you doing more posts on how you post process your work? I am really enjoying the look of your Solitude Project images. I also really liked what you did with the photo of the woman shot in harsh light - the end result was impressive.
    Wes Walker

    ReplyDelete